The Importance of Networking



Written by Tyler Strauss 
Co-op MBA Accounting, 2019


There is no substitute for knowing people. We hear this all the time, “it’s all about who you know”.  Though when faced with the opportunity to network, we often turn it down. This is the largest mistake anyone with career aspirations can make, and here’s why: 


This summer, I will be fortunate enough to be interning at Deloitte, a big four accounting firm. While I believe that I am qualified and will do a good job, I believe that most of my success in obtaining this internship comes down to having built a strong network.

One of my personal interests outside of academics is soccer. In fact, I coach a few youth teams several times a week. It is here where I found the connection that would lead to my internship at Deloitte. Throughout my coaching experience, I had the pleasure of speaking with several parents and coaches, a few of whom asked about my career aspirations.

I was lucky enough to meet several influential people networking that happened to be well-connected in the accounting world and had gained an interest in my aspirations. They were imperative to my success during my pursuit of an internship. These connections helped guide me in the right direction, review my resume, help to submit it through the right channels and even coach me through several rounds of interviews.
This summer, I will be very fortunate to intern at a such a prestigious company. I would not have this opportunity if weren’t for the connections that I made while networking. There are so many situations where networking can occur and I was lucky enough to find the right connections while doing what I love. 

Consider this the next time you're offered the opportunity to network!



If you missed our webinar for Mastering the Informational Interview, (featuring Lauren Moy!) you can watch it here: https://hofstra.blackboard.com/webapps/bb-collaborate-bb_bb60/recording/launchGuest?uid=b2ca74cd-2f10-4f4f-a8ee-3f6fc2a045d0&course_id=_247490_1

**Don't forget to subscribe to our blog (at the top of the page) to receive all of the latest updates and recaps of our events! We're also on Instagram @GBCS.Zarb, Twitter @ZarbGBCS, LinkedIn @ Zarb Graduate Business Career Services, and Facebook! Check us out via the links below. Don't forget to schedule an appointment with GBCS by dropping in to our office or registering through Handshake found on the Hofstra Portal to speak with a Career Coach, review your resume, or perform a mock interview.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this network importance. It is really helpful.
    ccna Training center in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was fully study this article and get more ideas from this article and in this article i know what to do to improve my skills..really thanks for the information
    ccna training institute in chennai
    ccna course in coimbatore with placement
    Best ccna Institute in Bangalore
    best ccna institute in madurai

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great content admin,
    I like to see more quality content on your website. you explained everything nicely.

    The Cisco Certifications exam is one of the toughest exams for IT professionals. Cisco focuses on network hardware and devices such as routers and network switches. This is why its certification program is geared toward the information technology field.
    KillerDumps is a reliable and trusty website that provides the most reliable Cisco dumps. Our Cisco Dump issue will help you pass the exam in first attempt. All Cisco exams are regularly updated and approved by our experts’ professionals.

    If you want to pass Cisco exam
    You can get Cisco Exams Dumps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely enjoying your website. You definitely have some great insight and great stories.
    computer courses
    it certifications
    it school
    cisco training

    ReplyDelete

  5. Nice and good article. It is very useful for me to learn and understand easily.
    CCNA Training in Delhi
    CCNA Training Course in Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great information. It was worth reading.
    also, check CCNA training in Pune

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts