Success Story: HR Summer Associate at Northwell Health


Kymberly Kleemann
Farmingdale, NY
MBA in Management
HR Summer Associate for Northwell Health

What job/internship experience have you landed and what steps did you take to earn it?

This past summer, I interned as an HR Summer Associate for Northwell Health. I believe that my experience of working at Hofstra’s Barnes & Noble for over three years helped me land an interview. In that position, I grew in various roles and even took on a supervisory position while we had undergone management changes. I have over six years of customer service experience, as I have consistently worked a part time job since I was 17. During my undergraduate years at Hofstra, I interned for News 12 as well as a startup wedding planning company in NYC. I was also involved in a sorority, within which I took on two positions. Currently as a graduate student, I am the co-president of Zarb Women in Business, the secretary of Hofstra’s Graduate Marketing Association and am involved in the Zarb Graduate Human Resource Management Association.

What advice do you have for other students? 

Take advantage of GBCS while you can, it’s free! If you are in a program for two years, you have a short amount of time to utilize their services. I took it upon myself to meet the faculty, advisors and career coaches during my first semester to build relationships. I also went to almost every networking event that was offered and joined in three graduate organizations. By getting involved, doors will start to open and connections will be made. In addition, taking on a leadership role within graduate organizations is be a great resume builder, talking point for interviews and a fundamental learning experience that anyone can benefit from. Whether you are applying for jobs/internships, or waiting to hear back after your first and second interview, remember to be patient and stay positive. You don’t want to put all your eggs in one basket either.

In short, my advice to everyone is to be proactive: Meet people. Go to the networking events. Talk to your classmates. Ask questions. Join clubs. Make connections on LinkedIn. Schedule appointments with GBCS. Utilizing these opportunities will pay off in the long run and the time that you have in this program will fly by before you know it. Make the connections now!

How did GBCS help you?

First and foremost, I struggled with choosing a path within the MBA program; I was torn between two concentrations. GBCS advised me to take the Career Leader Assessment, in which my decision to pursue HR became instantaneously clear. Soon after, I went to a Northwell Health Corporate Visit that GBCS co-sponsored. This opened the opportunity to meet current Northwell employers and to also learn more about the internship role. Afterwards, I made the connections on LinkedIn, applied to the position and got the first-round interview via Handshake! With the help of GBCS, I religiously went to mock interviews and resume critiques. I learned the power of STAR Stories. Hands down, I wouldn’t have been as prepared as I was, or arguably landed the second and third-round interviews, without the support and preparation that GBCS gave me!

Comments

  1. Thanks for this helpful information. Searching for the best Employer Platform for recruiting the top class employees for your organization then StaffMerge is the highly used job and recruitment online platform in United States and many other part of the world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts